Into festival mood (Riga)
Leaving work.
Despite (or perhaps because of) my careless attitude, the departure from Helsinki did not run quite as smoothly as I was hoping. After finishing my shift at the cafe, I loaded the bike, bid my farewells and started riding towards the harbour in the loveliest summer weather that Finland can give. The skies were clear, the soft wind warm and every person on the street smiling, almost incredulous that the summer seems to continue.
However, only a hundred meters after my smiling departure I ran into trouble: upon changing into the smallest (so-called baby) front ring, the new chain got completely jammed and I barely managed to keep from crashing into the roadside. Damn, I thought, will need to be more careful! Climbed off the bike, disentangled the chain that had come derailed from the ring, and carried on. However, when a km later, upon starting the steep climb into the boat the same thing happened, I realised something is not right with the bike. This is more than slightly annoying as it was only checked and fixed this week and it was perfectly fine then, but hey, these thing happen. Managed to speak to the guy who had done the job and he suggested that I buy a small file and try to smoothen any possible dents in the ring that might derail the chain. Will have to see how that works, the good news is that I wont really be needing the baby ring until much much later in the trip (say in Western Poland)!!
As was the plan, I left the bike in Tallinn in my Friend Kaaris apartment, and made it just on time for the bus headed for Riga. While rushing to it, it did occur to me that once again, my relationship to tango is showing all the signs of an addiction. Instead of spending a nice, leisurely evening with Kaari and carrying on tomorrow, I just had to go dancing...
After today`s sweaty day milonga, I went for a swim with fellow ''addicts".
Incidentally, this reminds me of the letra of a well-known tango Mala suerte (Bad luck):
Yo no pude prometerte
cambiar la vida que llevo,
porque nací calavera
y así me habré de morir.
A mi me tira la farra,
el café, la muchachada,
y donde haya una milonga
yo no puedo estar sin ir.
I could not promise you
to change the life I lead
I was born a player
and this is how I`ll die.
The party is drawing me,
the bar, the flirting,
and where there is a milonga
I just have to go.
Truly, it seems that this was written with me (and a few other tango maniacs) in mind!
With Kaya, a tango friend
Am now in Riga, having danced in two milongas, and although the festival mood is certainly very different from the almost religious devotion of the marathon goers, I am very happy to be here. Just heading out again, as tonight`s milonga in Jurmala is already going on.



Comments
Post a Comment