Into the unknown? (Riga)
Funny how the human mind works. As I have been to Riga so often in and even by bicycle it is my third time here, it does not really feel like I am abroad at all. However, this morning I am finally heading into 'uncharted waters' (not literally, of course), when my route takes me towards the South and the Lithuanian border. And once again, I am feeling nervous about it.
Although this time I have spent only two nights in Vita`s comfy flat on Bruninieku street, I am finding it really hard to move on. Perhaps, it is partly due to the memories of my previous attempt at cycling southwards from Riga: 4 years ago, on my long trip to Croatia, I contracted a stomach bug in Riga and was unable to ride my bike for several days. Thus, I got a lift with my Dad about 100 km into Lithuania. Now, despite all those cycle trips in between, in my mind, the road out of Riga is a really difficult one.
My stay in Riga this time was quite different from previous ones too. As opposed to all the other visits I hardly danced at all, as my eagerly awaited Saturday night milonga had been cancelled. This made me feel oddly abandoned, as if there wasn`t anything else to do here. The fact that thousands of tourists seem to find a lot here to interest them only made me see more clearly how in my mind, Riga equals tango.
However, the couple of days passed easily enough, and I quickly rediscovered my usual way of spending time in any city when there is no dancing: just sitting in a street cafe I can easily spend hours, just watching people and letting my mind wander. The weather was like a dream: hot but with a cooling breeze, and the countless street musicians, not to mention the tourists with their funny hats and differing postures and facial expressions provided me all the entertainment I needed.
Last night, I finally got to dance a little too, when I got a ride with some friends to nearby Jurmala for a milonga. Jurmala, with its incredibly long sandy beach is as touristic a resort town as they come, but for me, it is just another tango location. One of my first international tango events, the Tango Sun Festival is held here, and yesterday I realised how each street corner, cafe and park bench seems to hold special memories for me. Now, instead of tango guests, it was teeming with Russian tourists, and although the milonga was by no means empty, it was a relatively quiet night with none of the buzz of international events. The contrast made me feel oddly nostalgic, a little like returning to a place where you used to spend time in your childhood: you recognise the places although they seem to have shrunk a little, and although you may see familiar faces, nothing is quite as it used to be. I sighed a little and allowed myself to float in all those memories. At moments like, it takes some willpower to remain confident that the best is yet to come!
Tonight, I am intending to get as far as Pajiesmeniai, a little town about 100 km from here. The weather seems to have cooled off a fair bit since yesterday, and I am hoping that the wind is still in my favour.
Although this time I have spent only two nights in Vita`s comfy flat on Bruninieku street, I am finding it really hard to move on. Perhaps, it is partly due to the memories of my previous attempt at cycling southwards from Riga: 4 years ago, on my long trip to Croatia, I contracted a stomach bug in Riga and was unable to ride my bike for several days. Thus, I got a lift with my Dad about 100 km into Lithuania. Now, despite all those cycle trips in between, in my mind, the road out of Riga is a really difficult one.
My stay in Riga this time was quite different from previous ones too. As opposed to all the other visits I hardly danced at all, as my eagerly awaited Saturday night milonga had been cancelled. This made me feel oddly abandoned, as if there wasn`t anything else to do here. The fact that thousands of tourists seem to find a lot here to interest them only made me see more clearly how in my mind, Riga equals tango.
However, the couple of days passed easily enough, and I quickly rediscovered my usual way of spending time in any city when there is no dancing: just sitting in a street cafe I can easily spend hours, just watching people and letting my mind wander. The weather was like a dream: hot but with a cooling breeze, and the countless street musicians, not to mention the tourists with their funny hats and differing postures and facial expressions provided me all the entertainment I needed.
Last night, I finally got to dance a little too, when I got a ride with some friends to nearby Jurmala for a milonga. Jurmala, with its incredibly long sandy beach is as touristic a resort town as they come, but for me, it is just another tango location. One of my first international tango events, the Tango Sun Festival is held here, and yesterday I realised how each street corner, cafe and park bench seems to hold special memories for me. Now, instead of tango guests, it was teeming with Russian tourists, and although the milonga was by no means empty, it was a relatively quiet night with none of the buzz of international events. The contrast made me feel oddly nostalgic, a little like returning to a place where you used to spend time in your childhood: you recognise the places although they seem to have shrunk a little, and although you may see familiar faces, nothing is quite as it used to be. I sighed a little and allowed myself to float in all those memories. At moments like, it takes some willpower to remain confident that the best is yet to come!
Tonight, I am intending to get as far as Pajiesmeniai, a little town about 100 km from here. The weather seems to have cooled off a fair bit since yesterday, and I am hoping that the wind is still in my favour.
Comments
Post a Comment