African memories (Magdeburg)

On long journeys, the mind has the opportunity to go wandering in any direction it pleases,and although this often results in daydreaming about food or sex, there are times when one stumbles upon important realisations.

Today,after a pretty easy and effortless ride on mostly empty country roads, I had such a moment when arriving at a campsite by a river that had a vaguely familiar feel to it. Upon walking to the riverbank, I had an almost physical sensation on being back in Africa, on my favourite river bordering Namibia and Angola. The opposite bank had exactly the same shape, the air had the same, heavy quality, there were herons and storks flying overhead... The only thing missing were the acacia trees and the elephants browsing them!

In a flash, I realised how much I still love and miss Africa. No amount of tango can ever replace those years, and the longing to return will probably stay with me all my life.In some strange way, this is a comforting thought despite its sadness.

----------
Lähetetty Nokia-puhelimesta

Comments