Senftenberg
My departure from Dresden was an unhurried one, not the least because I had come to like the city so much after my two night stay. It just seems to have all the right elements: beautiful buildings and impressive scenery, a lively, youthful atmosphere and a manageable size. As a matter of fact, the only negative thing about it I discovered were the many cobbled streets that make cycling, especially on a fully laden touring bike, a nerve-racking experience!
As always, finding my way out of the city was far from easy. One would think that following a signposted bike route (in this case the Elberadweg) is a foolproof exercise, but I managed to lose the track several times before even getting out of the suburbs. However, I am getting so used to it that it does not worry me too much. I know that at some point I will always find it again, even if by accident!
My route today took me across mostly flat agricultural lands although there were a few minor hills too. In the afternoon, I also crossed a forest of sorts, a former military training area that has subsequently been proclaimed a protected area whero no motorised traffic is allowed. It was certainly a welcome break away from the constant noise of cars, but I could not help feeling a bit amused by this 'wilderness area' that at 70 sqkm is considered an exeptionally large one,at least im this part of the country. I mean, back home we have such patches of forest even within the cities! :-)
On a more serious note, crossing that former military area made me once again think about war and all the things we (or whoever it is who decides upon these things) do to 'protect' ourselves from the 'enemy'. In Dresden, one cannot avoid seeing pictures of the devastation that the Allied Forces caused by bombing the city literally to pieces... After the war had already been won! Those images were to me a powerful reminder of the devastation I saw last year in Bosnia, although of course a much more recent one, and the sad continuum of it all felt heart-breaking. What is it in us humans that makes us enjoy seeing the humiliation of those who have already lost so much? Where does that hatred stem from that makes it seem perfectly justified to carry on bombing (or shooting, or whatever) the 'enemy' until nothing remains? To me, it seems that a profound sense of otherness and righteousness is needed, before armies can go to war against each other, and the civil population, in such a mindless way. Sometimes I think it is just caused by too much testosterone in one place!;-)
For some reason, several people today were so surprised to see me on my bike that they approached me to comment on the size of my baggage or the fact that I am travelling alone (as a woman) in this way. There was a slightly negative tone to their bewilderment too, as if this was just something that isn't done. As a matter of fact, there were even a couple of (older) guys who saw it fit to shout their reproach at me from across the street!! I was quite puzzled by this, as my baggage remains the same size it has been all along (although getting slightly heavier due to the accumulating maps, and tango dresses), and besides, what business is it of theirs how much luggage I have on my bike?! In the end, I came to the conclusion that as I am once again clearly outside of the bike tourers' most frequented routes, these people just have not seen a lot of long-distance bikers. Could not help chucking to myself, though, that this must be the world-famous German hospitality...;-)
Fortunately there were some really friendly people too, who just stopped to shake my hand (can u believe it??) and tell me how much they admired my way of travel. As until now I have always been in popular biking routes, it seems I had overlooked the fact that most Germans are not used to us.
Am spending the night (which happens to be the Midsommer) at an enormous campsite by a lake inside a pine tree forest. As Midsummer has almost always felt like just another forced event to me, am actually quite relieved to escape it altogether.
As always, finding my way out of the city was far from easy. One would think that following a signposted bike route (in this case the Elberadweg) is a foolproof exercise, but I managed to lose the track several times before even getting out of the suburbs. However, I am getting so used to it that it does not worry me too much. I know that at some point I will always find it again, even if by accident!
Is it any wonder if I sometimes miss the route signs, when they are camouflaged like this one?
My route today took me across mostly flat agricultural lands although there were a few minor hills too. In the afternoon, I also crossed a forest of sorts, a former military training area that has subsequently been proclaimed a protected area whero no motorised traffic is allowed. It was certainly a welcome break away from the constant noise of cars, but I could not help feeling a bit amused by this 'wilderness area' that at 70 sqkm is considered an exeptionally large one,at least im this part of the country. I mean, back home we have such patches of forest even within the cities! :-)
On a more serious note, crossing that former military area made me once again think about war and all the things we (or whoever it is who decides upon these things) do to 'protect' ourselves from the 'enemy'. In Dresden, one cannot avoid seeing pictures of the devastation that the Allied Forces caused by bombing the city literally to pieces... After the war had already been won! Those images were to me a powerful reminder of the devastation I saw last year in Bosnia, although of course a much more recent one, and the sad continuum of it all felt heart-breaking. What is it in us humans that makes us enjoy seeing the humiliation of those who have already lost so much? Where does that hatred stem from that makes it seem perfectly justified to carry on bombing (or shooting, or whatever) the 'enemy' until nothing remains? To me, it seems that a profound sense of otherness and righteousness is needed, before armies can go to war against each other, and the civil population, in such a mindless way. Sometimes I think it is just caused by too much testosterone in one place!;-)
For some reason, several people today were so surprised to see me on my bike that they approached me to comment on the size of my baggage or the fact that I am travelling alone (as a woman) in this way. There was a slightly negative tone to their bewilderment too, as if this was just something that isn't done. As a matter of fact, there were even a couple of (older) guys who saw it fit to shout their reproach at me from across the street!! I was quite puzzled by this, as my baggage remains the same size it has been all along (although getting slightly heavier due to the accumulating maps, and tango dresses), and besides, what business is it of theirs how much luggage I have on my bike?! In the end, I came to the conclusion that as I am once again clearly outside of the bike tourers' most frequented routes, these people just have not seen a lot of long-distance bikers. Could not help chucking to myself, though, that this must be the world-famous German hospitality...;-)
Fortunately there were some really friendly people too, who just stopped to shake my hand (can u believe it??) and tell me how much they admired my way of travel. As until now I have always been in popular biking routes, it seems I had overlooked the fact that most Germans are not used to us.
Am spending the night (which happens to be the Midsommer) at an enormous campsite by a lake inside a pine tree forest. As Midsummer has almost always felt like just another forced event to me, am actually quite relieved to escape it altogether.
This morning I was too just `kind of` meditating what it really means to see which forces me (or `they` ?) to act: is it fear/hatred/guilt or love/joy/peace of mind. Who makes choices - are they my own or `theirs`?
ReplyDeleteYou certainly have made your own choices on many levels. What a journey!
Love and hugs