Klein Köris


Had a wonderful day cycling mostly through landscapes devoid of car, cyclists or indeed any other people. As a result of a slight misjudgement in the morning, I ended up on a more Northerly route that I had intended. This meant crossing former mining areas, full of man-made land formations, artificial lakes and riding along old mining roads for most of the day.

Despite the lovely peace and quiet, I could not helping sensing the desperation that the rapid closing down of mines had brought to this area and its inhabitants. Indeed, chatting to a fellow customer in a cafe in Großräschen, a sleepy little town in the heart of the mining district, my hunch was confirmed. According to this very outspoken lady, the abrupt closure of the mines had left almost everybody unemployed, bitter and hopeless, as prospects of finding any kind of a job are so poor. There must be tens of thousands in the same situation, with very few hopes of ever getting employed again. Even the pensioners are having a really hard time as the prices are now the same as everywhere while pensions are calculated on the income during the DDR years. Not a pretty picture, I had to agree.

In the afternoon, I rode through an area that must come close to being the loveliest I've seen on this trip. Being called Spreewald, it consists of a maze of channels and lakes, surrounded by lush forests and meadows. As it had also been proclaimed a protected area, there was no motorised traffic, and the scenery was certainly very attractive, even for a finn who has seen a lake or two...;-)

As I was having such a lovely time, I decided to carry on a bit further than I had planned to. However, this meant having to race against the sun that was rapidly sinking. This in itself would not have been anything new, but when during the final 10km stretch I hit a forest track with deep, loose and fine sand, I had to admit that this was indeed a problem. Furthermore, the track that had begun as a clearly marked gravel road quickly forked into several pathes that I was not at all sure of which I should follow. In the end, I actually had to push the bike through the ankle deep sand, only to find that the campsite was at the end of another such road.


The sandy track that forced me to push the bike.

Asking an upcoming young woman about another campsite she quicky invited me to pitch my tent in her backyard. I accepted gladly, and after a warm shower and a generous meal offered by my hosts went to sleep feeling very content with the day's achievements.

Alexandra and her family.

Comments

  1. Hei! Olet kulkenut taasen pitkän taipaleen ylä- ja alamäkiä. Niitähän se elämä on. Ellei olisi ylämäkiä, et osaisi nauttia alamäistä. Praha kiinnostaa. Saksaan olet palannut ja takapihalla saat nukkua ;) Jussi täällä aaton jälkeen aurinkoistui. Zemppia paluuseen! Jokainen päivä on uusi seikkailu.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)