Overcast, drizzle,rain,downpour(Koblenz)

The heading pretty much sums up today for me. Fortunately, the moody weather was kind of made up for by the flat terrain, some pretty impressive scenery (the little I could tell, with visibility somewhere around 300m), and a very strong tailwind (again!) that made it seem almost predestined that I should be headed just this way. Listening to the 4 albums of bossa nova I had got from a Brasilian room mate at a hostel a couple of nights ago, I just smiled through the rain that went on, almost without a break, for the whole afternoon.


Dancing at my best so far, with Wilfred.

Another thing that filled me with energy was last night's milonga in Don Tango Club, that turned out a very positive surprise. As had been promised in the reviews I found in the net, the atmosphere was so warm and welcoming that I could not believe I was still in the same city where most people walk around with a permanent frown. Before I had even got my dancing shoes on, two people (ladies) had already wished me welcome and actually encouraged me to dance with all the men! (Usually one gets the feeling of being regarded as a threat, as someone who will steal a part of the precious dancing time and opportunity, especially if leaders are in short supply. )

Even more memorable than the atmosphere in this loft studio upstairs of a bicycle workshop was my own dancing. Perhaps it was the fact that I had had more than a little bit of the wonderful, ridiculously cheap (2 eur/bottle, can you believe it?) rosé wine and was thus slightly tipsy, or due to meeting some really good people, but I don't think I've ever been able to dance tango (or any other dance, for that matter) with such ease, confidence and balance. And even more surprisingly, it did not seem to matter who I was dancing with, I just seemed to have an ability to trust these complete strangers and thus relax into the leading. Everybody I danced with gave me compliments on how I moved, which in itself was a first! I was amazed, as the milonga 2 nights ago had given no indication of this. But it was the tandas I danced with Wilfred, a very skilled dancer with a beautiful posture (not a hint of belly dancing there!) and a wonderfully musical style of leading that crowned the evening for me. All of a sudden, I found myself making moves I had no idea I knew, following his lead with an almost magical ease. It was such a marvellous experience that I was almost moved to tears. Although they were still playing really beautiful tangos, I decided to call it a night, and must have walked to my hotel with my feet barely touching the ground.

Last night clearly showed once again why Tango is a mystery to me. The way it complements, consoles, restores and rejuvenates, leaving me feeling so close to people I have hardly said a word to, with a profound understanding, respect and compassion for them, it really is unique. Every day I can see more clearly why I just had to make this journey of discovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)