Lines and borders (Lichtenfels)

The campsite in Bischofsheim.

Almost as a reward for yesterday's hard work, I had a wonderfully easy-going day of long downhill rides, undulating vistas and very little traffic. Even the hundreds of other bicycle tourers that had been keeping me company during the days in the river valleys had disappeared, and for much of the way I had only the strong headwind, and my own meandering thoughts to entertain me.

 Most of the day I was traversing countryside like this. Here, the headwind really catches you!

After reading a newspaper story during lunch today, I found myself thinking about borders and divisions between people. The article was about the growing disparity between the well-off and the rest of the German population, but really, it could have been from anywhere in the world. The fact is, the rich are getting richer while the others are...well, at least in terms of purchase power, getting poorer. This, combined with the fact that about 30% of the young people in this country who have an immigrant background are without any form of vocational training (amongst women of Turkish ethnicity the figure was 45%!), may be why so many people are walking around with a permanent frown. Indeed, several people I have spoken to have claimed tha t economically, things are getting tough here. This is easy to overlook, as for me, the prices (of food, accommodation, books etc) are certainly very attractive!
Tango the Bike standing on the former border line between East (on the left) and West Germany.

When, in the afternoon, I came to an old watchtower standing at the former borderline between East and West Germany, that was another reminder of the things we do to separate 'them' from 'us'. Why is it that all around us, instead of opening up and sharing, people are just building walls, both physical and mental, between themselves and others? Why is it that the more we own, the more we worry about losing it? And why, in the face of all this wealth, do we still think we need more?

Very soon after crossing that former borderline the scenery changed once again, and I rode through the loveliest, most aesthetically pleasing countryside for the rest of the day. Miraculously, I did not have to scale almost any uphills while the downhills were pretty massive. (in general, i am finding that downhills always seem steeper and longer than the correspondinw uphills. I wonder it that just proves how biased my vision is?)
Many of the towns in the former East Germany have been restored with great care, something that must have cost a fair deal.

Although I managed to get just as far as I had intended and am not even feeling that tired, I am starting to realise that getting to Prague by Friday night might simply be impossible. It is not that far, but a glance at the map tells the mountains are only just beginning. If it wasn't for the tango festival, I would just grind my teeth and get there, no matter how long it takes. As it happens, I am preparing myself mentally for the (not unrealistic) eventuality that I might have to take the train for some part of the final day. However, tomorrow I will do what I can to get as far as possible, hopefully sleeping somewhere on the Czech side of the border.

Comments

  1. Hi love,

    Toivon että matkasi kohti Itää on sujunut suotuisasti. Toivottavasti runsaat kannustavat ajatukseni eivät ole painaneet, lisänneet matkan rasituksia. Tarkoitettu päinvastoin auttamaan Loppumatka junalla Prahaan tuntuu hyvältä idealta.
    Kuulemme päätöksestäsi aikanaan.
    Halit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toivottavasti sain edellisen kommenttini liikkeelle, yritin ainakin. Aamulla se viimeistään selviää.
    Haleja

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)