Bouncing back..? (Litomerice)

Just out of Prague, the bike road still all smooth and pretty.

As much as I would have wanted to wake up feeling full of positive energy and eagerness to be getting on the road once again, the reality of today was not quite as rosy. After 4 nights in one place, one seems to have already grown some sort of roots in the local soil, and tearing them loose, distaching oneself from whatever has been the most powerful tie, in order to travel again, is always hard. So, although my time in Prague had been marked by mixed feelings, loneliness and lack of self-confidence, I was leaving the city with more than a little reluctance.

On the other hand, I could clearly see that there was no reason for me to stay either, so off I went, after packing everything up, once again.

My dark moods had not disappeared either, and for a large part of today I was literally oozing negative energy, getting irritated by the slightest mishaps and problems. This kind of mood does not happen to me often, but when it does, oh boy how exhausting it is!!
See the various road conditions...?

Obviously, it is not difficult to find causes for irritation in such a mood. So, I was mad at the incoherent signposting of the bike route supposedly following the river, the strong headwind, the egoistic, macho drivers disregarding everyone's safety, and the incredibly bad road surfaces on the route. Especially the latter was a real problem though, as the track was most of the time so bumpy, with sharp-edged stones stuck in it, that travelling at any speed faster than walking was impossible.

At this point, my patience just ran out as you can see!!
 After almost 4 hours on the riverside track I decided that this simply taking too long. At next possibility, I left the river valley behind to follow a secondary road that flanks the highway most of the way from Prague to Dresden. Here, to my delight, I discovered that traffic was quite manageable and terrain not too exhausting either. When I had been on this road for a while, covering a lot of ground quite effortlessly, the bad mood just evaporated. Once again, I could see the beauty of the landscape, appreciate the wonderful situation that allows me to travel like this, and get pleasure from the physical exercise. What a relief!


Tomorrow I will be following the river again, as I am now surrounded by steep hills and rocky outcrops that make any shortcut seem a very stupid idea. Am hoping to make it to Dresden by tomorrow night although it will mean quite a long day.

Comments

  1. Olet upean ja uskomattoman sitkeä, mitä teetkin. Olet aina ollut. Muistathan myös kehua itseäsi?
    Lämpimät halit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, dst Mari-Elsa travelling with tango. now comes this second trial to get my greetings go. I quitted after the first failure because there was an explanation that visitors are not allowed to send. at the moment I dont know yet. You told somewhere that sometimes several trials are needed and are putting the idea of "Trotzmacht des Geistes" in practice. This is the old, real Juhannuspäivä, you are a real one, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as I selected "anonymous" for profile, I succeed. Somehow I think that you return back here before this month is over and am takin the easy way. Remember Natasha? she visited me some days ago and saw your picture and said the world is that small. Her Victoria is two months now and is very expressive, love from both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mum and Helka,

    great to hear that at least you two are still enjoying my stories (the others are keeping remarkably quiet!). Am just about to ride out of Dresden, will write a short entry about the last couple of days before I do.
    Love
    m

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)