Circles, cycles and patterns (Kalmar)

Morning at Oskarshamn campsite.

Something about the repetitious nature of bicycle travel got me thinking about the cyclic, almost totally predictable patterns that my life seems to follow. I suppose we all have those of our own, and no matter how much we try to break away from the never-ending reruns of our own life drama, it seems to have little impact on the end result.


Today, I was experimenting with taking cycling pic's of myself. Must admit it takes some creativity, and one has to be fast too! Here are some of the results.


Now, don't get me wrong: I do enjoy life on the road with all its unexpected twists and turns, but for a long time now, I have been quite aware of the fact that no matter how different the surroundings, my mental landscape and the kind of encounters I have while traversing a country (or life in general) remains the same. With this, I am referring as much to the obvious fact that I remain the same person wherever I go, as to the realisation that same kinds of things seem to happen to me, no matter which continent, decade or life situation I find myself in.
In a way, the never-ending repetitions are comfortingly familiar, but I have to confess there are times when I find myself questioning the utility of it all. Take travelling, for example. I, for one, am happy to confess feeling so much more awake, aware and in tune with my 'true' self when travelling, that it is no wonder it has become such an integral part of not just how I live, but indeed, of who I am. Still, I do see that whatever realisations I may have made during a trip, it does not take long for those lessons to slip out of my mind once back home...only to be re-discovered the next time I embark on a long solo trip. And on it goes.

Another, more sensitive issue is of course the way my (or, for that matter, anybody else's) love life seems to defy all attempts to break away from patterns once engraved in the subconscious. While trodding through my 70-odd km today, I spent a good while pondering on the somewhat depressing possibility that no matter how much I think I have changed, grown as a person or matured as a woman, my responses to situations presented in an emotionally charged relationship remain essentially the same. And even more frighteningly, the situations in which I continue finding myself show few signs of evolution.

Perhaps that really is all there is to it. Life, in all its forms, is a circular process and our mistake is simply in trying to see linear progress where there are only ripples on the surface of an ocean. Like the buddhists say, there is no beginning and no end, and all boundaries between entities are illusory.

On a more practical note, I did make it to Kalmar, without riding on the E22 at all. The roads i followed were wonderfully quiet back-country tracks, with horses, cows and sheep watching me pass. The scenery itself must have contributed to my philosophical mood too, and the somewhat warmer temperatures made the going a lot more agreeable than the previous days. Unfortunately, I did not manage to hunt down a milonga tonight, but am still hopeful to be able to dance tomorrow. Am spending the next 2 nights in a hostel, have just done my laundry and checked my emails. Tomorrow I'll go take a look at Kalmar that based on my first impressions today seems like a nice town. I really hope there will be some tango too!

Comments

  1. Mari,

    what is interestig in your words is the use of "mind" and of "true self". The thoughts that you are sharing show that there are at leat two of you and one is observing the onther one while the second is just reacting to life using the same circles and cycles... who of the two of you would be more "true" than the other one?

    I believe that the one who observes (without judging) is the true you... our mind is just a flow of thoughts and superficial emotions even if sometimes they can really invade us and drive us. However there is always a moment where our true-self mekes us reflect on our beavior and reactive emotions... as you just did here.

    In our individualistic societies and cultures we have been told to "build" and "defend" our personality... we let our ego to do that that for us for the best and the worse. We built our habits, believes, defensive reactions and even identification processes that could lead us to suffering and incomfort... we know better our suffering than our happiness. Why? because mainly we can "create" our suffering while creating our happiness is more fuzzy...

    We might sometime prefer to stay in incomfortable mindsets that we can play with han to jump in an unknown happy moment that will escape between our fingers. No?

    Happiness appear most of the time from "free", "unexpected" and spontaneous interaction with our surrounding or with people... we don't know how to control these moments... however, in ur circles and cycles we know what will happen and even if it is not pleasant at least we know!

    I believe we can slowly reinvent new cycles and new circles...

    Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my poor English...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear B, with not poor English at all ;-),

    so lovely to hear from you too. Was wondering where you had been hiding! Somehow I knew that this topic would catch your attention, am glad that it did.

    With my 'true self' I am referring more to a state of mind than a different entitity, so in that respect I would not say there are more than one of me. However, I do agree that sometimes those differing states of mind do diverge so far as to resemble different entities! As far as I can see, travelling seems to liberate me (although very temporararily) from many of the fears, frustrations and preoccupations that distort my everyday life when at home. However, I have seen many times that they all will catch up with me if I stop...or indeed, if and when travelling becomes routine.

    I do agree with you that happiness rises out of spontaneous encounters with your surroundings (personally, I would extend this to include animals and nature in general, not just people). That part has never been difficult for me, and travelling seems to bring me closer to it.

    As to whether we really can reinvent the cycles, am still undecided. The great thing is, however, that even the same cycle always seems rejuvenating and new when it is at its peak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onnistuin avaamaan blogisi uudestaan ja sehän ilahduttaa mieltä. Mieltäni riemastuttaa lukea kuulumisiasi, huomata että myös ystäväsi seuraavat kulkuasi rakastaen. Myös englannin kielellä lukeminen antaa minulle sopivasti aivojumppaa. Kommentit sillä kielellä on kuitenkin mulle liikaa nykyisin. Viisasta ja turvallista jatkoa matkallesi..!

    Hali, hali Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uno vuelve siempre a los viejos sitios donde amó la vida - You always get back to those places where you once have loved the life - Palaat aina takaisin sinne, missä kerran rakastit elämää. El viaje - The journey - Matka. That´s when you, and me and many other persons are having time to observe ourselves and having time to enjoy the unexpected happy incidents. Enjoy, Mari! Life is nice. By the way I think it would be really good idea to share your route in public as well; that´s the name of the game in social networking, sharing the feelings, experiencies and helping each other. Love and Happiness! Anu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anu,

    i thought of you today, when visiting the city museum in Malmo I walked into a room that displayed what it feels like to be in an earthquake. They did not display the severity of the temors but I can tell I would have been very scared if that had happened while i was sleeping! You are a brave woman!
    What do you mean by sharing my route in public? That I should make the blog open to all? I am thinking about it, but so far it has felt better to know that only people I know are reading it. But lets see!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)