Tangopalatset (Malmö)

Dancing with Boris.

Yesterday, I think I almost overdid it with tango. (So soon, you might say!) Probably it was just the lingering remains of the previous days' biking, but the 2 workshops plus the milonga (22-02!) really took all I had to give both in terms of physical energy and as far as learning and enjoying the dance goes. By the time I got back to the hostel (at 2.30 am!) my feet were hurting so much I could hardly walk. And this with tango shoes that fit me perfectly!

The venue itself, Tangopalatse, turned out to be a very impressive old building, somehow resembling of old theatres or school halls, with high ceilings and a nice wooden floor. There were a lot of dancers present as it was the closing evening for Tangoakademiet's (a local tango school) spring term. What I really liked about the place was that although it was grandiose in a slightly frayed around the edges kind of a way and the dancers were certainly wearing fancier dresses than for your average milonga, it was still an easygoing and welcoming atmosphere.

In terms of dancing, I was happy to get to tango a lot. Indeed, from the moment I walked in, I spent most of the time on the dance floor. More importantly, I could see that the valuable lessons learned earlier the same day came in handy and the walking and following had become a lot easier.

One of the things that Aisha and Victor talked about a lot during the classes was the philosophy of tango. Being Argentinian, they feel very bothered by the urge most Europeans show in learning a lot of complicated moves, trisky steps and combinations, while forgetting the most essential thing in tango, being one with the music and with your dancing partner. Additionally, they emphasised the connection between the partners and the way it is the leader's task to make dancing as pleasant and comfortable to the follower as possible, also making her (as in most cases it is indeed a her) dancing look as appealing as possible. In the words of Aisha, 'nobody wants to look at him, they are all going to be looking at her!'. Naturally, the follower also has to be careful with ther posture, her steps and especially with her rhytm, the most important thing being never ever allowing herself to get ahead of the leader. (As you may guess, for me this last part is by far the most demanding thing to do!)



While dancing last night, I did my best to put some of this advice into practice, and to an extent it felt like I have indeed learned something during the past weeks. I still have a very very long way ahead of me before becoming a tango dancer, but at least now I feel I am starting to get a hint of an idea about what it would entail!

Am just about to go for another walz workhop with Aisha and Victor. The classes are really almost private lessons, and their teaching style is very attentive and humane. I am having a wonderful time, doing exactly what I enjoy the most. Tonight it will be another milonga, and tomorrow I'll be making a move to Copenhagen.

Comments

  1. Happy to hear you are enjoying your life and beeing grateful too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

Paris, finally!

On family history, excess and moderation (The Hague)