Me Voy! (Helsinki)

How fast time flies, and how quickly one forgets the hardships it has brought! Another two years have passed, and after hardly any cycling for most of this time, tonight I will be starting another bike trip. The first leg involves a sea journey from Helsinki to Travemünde in Germany, so in effect, I am retracing my steps as my last trip ended with this same journey in the opposite direction.

However,  as opposed to all the other trips, this time I will not be starting the cycling from the harbour but rather, take the train to the South of Germany to the city of Ulm. From there on, I will be following the river Danube all the way to Budapest, passing through Wien and Bratislava on the way. This is the most popular bike travel route in Europe, and for a good reason: the scenery is lovely, there are lots of facilities for cyclists, and marked bike routes follow the river all the way. Indeed, the biggest challenge for me is to have the presence of mind to follow the river in the right direction!

As usual, my preparations were left to almost the last minute, as I spent most of last night checking gear, packing and organising, trying to remember all the things that are crucial if one wants to be self-sufficient on a bike trip And return to a home that is still habitable.  A minor worry is that I am far from fit, having done very little cycling, but the wonderful sense of freedom and lightness of heart, together with a much less demanding route than on my previous trips will probably make up for most of that.

Now wrapping up the last few things at work, then heading to the harbour where M/S Finnlady (how apt a name!) will be carrying  me and the bike towards Germany.

Nyt mennään! I'm off! Me voy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)