Come rain or shine (Inzell, Austria)
After spending a lazy afternoon in Passau yesterday, this morning I was eager to get back on the road. The fact that I had finally mustered up the courage to look at the map for the rest of the way had a big impact, as I was very positively surprised by the distance that there was left to Vienna and on to Budapest. Now, any normal person would of course have known this from the beginning, being well prepared and with a clear plan on daily routes and destinations, but for me, *not* making those plans has come to symbolise ultimate freedom. At times, this has led to unpleasant surprises as I have discovered that there is a lot more distance to cover than I thought, but this time, the remaining 630 km to Budapest seemed like child's play as I had been worrying it would be double as much. Funny how the mind works!
The morning was fresh, almost chilly, something that seemed like a wonderful gift after boiling in my own sweat for days. I set off from the campsite in Passau, populated almost solely by fellow bikers, and was delighted to find the wind once again in my favour. Very quickly, I had reached the German -Austrian border, and the next moment, was in Austria.
This stretch of the Danube bike route is the most popular, and for a good reason: The scenery, with tall forests, winding bike tracks flanking the now different coloured river (the Inn that joins the Danube in Passau brought with it a beautiful, opaque green tint that makes the water incredibly clear) along with absolutely no hills makes the going really easy. There are quite a few other cyclists, although it is not the high season yet, but mostly, I am travelling alone with my thoughts. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the weather, with constant showers.
So far, I haven't even mentioned tango, and one may ask whether this is a sign that my obsession with it is showing signs of cooling off. Indeed, after my first tango crisis since I started, something that made the first half of this year quite painful, I think I am in a bit of a recess when it comes to dancing. However, the last couple of nights, upon getting to my sleeping bag, I have felt a terrible urge to listen to tango, and Pugliese, Di Sarli and Tanturi have put me to sleep while reminding me of how much dancing still means to me. Similarly, last night, getting in touch with my tango friends in Vienna and Budapest, my first thought was a logical one: When can we dance?
One may be temporarily fooled that the desire to dance has subsided, but it is lying there, hidden just beneath the surface.
The morning was fresh, almost chilly, something that seemed like a wonderful gift after boiling in my own sweat for days. I set off from the campsite in Passau, populated almost solely by fellow bikers, and was delighted to find the wind once again in my favour. Very quickly, I had reached the German -Austrian border, and the next moment, was in Austria.
This stretch of the Danube bike route is the most popular, and for a good reason: The scenery, with tall forests, winding bike tracks flanking the now different coloured river (the Inn that joins the Danube in Passau brought with it a beautiful, opaque green tint that makes the water incredibly clear) along with absolutely no hills makes the going really easy. There are quite a few other cyclists, although it is not the high season yet, but mostly, I am travelling alone with my thoughts. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the weather, with constant showers.
So far, I haven't even mentioned tango, and one may ask whether this is a sign that my obsession with it is showing signs of cooling off. Indeed, after my first tango crisis since I started, something that made the first half of this year quite painful, I think I am in a bit of a recess when it comes to dancing. However, the last couple of nights, upon getting to my sleeping bag, I have felt a terrible urge to listen to tango, and Pugliese, Di Sarli and Tanturi have put me to sleep while reminding me of how much dancing still means to me. Similarly, last night, getting in touch with my tango friends in Vienna and Budapest, my first thought was a logical one: When can we dance?
One may be temporarily fooled that the desire to dance has subsided, but it is lying there, hidden just beneath the surface.
planing to join and cycle with you on the way to Budapest.
ReplyDeleteplease, let me know when will you cross the Austrian-HU border?
gizella
gbarsi@gmail.com