Lucky encounters (Norrköping)

My room in Björnalunda Vandrarhem. Cosy, don't you think?

It was a day full of rain and deserted roads, but not without its rewards. Had a reasonably early start as I wanted to make sure I would not miss the milonga in Norrköping. Judging by the map that only displays distances between bigger towns, it would be a little over 100km to where I wanted to go -not impossible but certainly no piece of cake either, at this stage.

I ended up spending the whole day, with only one proper break, in the saddle. It was just as well, as the rain that had been just a drizzle in the morning steadily accelerated into a true downpour by the time I got close to my destination. Luckily, though, I had the wind in my favour, so even the uphills seemed easy. In addition, I had some pleasant surprises such as finding an amazing abundance of wild strawberries by the roadside.

Riding into Norrköping just before 5 in the afternoon I had just enough time to find the milonga. Fortunately, the Work Museum where it was held turned out to be a well-known sight (who would have guessed?), housed in an old building next to a fast-flowing river right in the centre of town. I got there just in time, and straight away bumped into people whom I had met in other milongas elsewhere. How small the tango world is!



The milonga lasted unfortunately only 2 hours, but thanks to a wonderful introduction by Richard, a tango friend from Tango Frostbite, I got to dance the whole time. It really is amazing how much energy one gets from tango:there I was, having spent the whole day cycling, wet and cold, and yet the moment the music started i was full of the glow that always overwhelms me when I dance.

And the surprises were not over:before I knew it, the locals had arranged for me to stay with Zlata, a lovely lady from former Yugoslavia. Am writing this in my cosy and warm bed, having had a wonderful meal and girl-to-girl talk with Zlata, along with some rakija (plum spirits) to ward off a sore throat. What a great place the tango world can be!

Comments

  1. Hi,

    here again, my apologies. I did send the text last night from my mobile phone, but only got to check now... only to notice I had used the wrong address. From now on, however, it should go right. Am just about to leave Linköping, on my way to Jönköping. Will post more soon.
    Love, mari

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)