Leading Ladies
One of the most bizarre comments I've been hearing, and not infrequently either, since I started leading, is: "Oh, so you are a man?" While I could somehow understand this coming from an Argentinian as the equivalent for "leading" doesn't seem to be widely used and instead, they just say "dancing the man's role", what puzzles me the most is that it is usually highly educated, modern Nordic women who make this statement.
These almost two years of learning to lead have not made me feel more manly. However, they have definitely given me some insights into what it must be like to "live the man's role' in everyday life. Similarly, I have been delighted to discover how differently men behave, feel and reveal themselves when being led than in any other situation I can think of. The sweetness, softness and openness i have been lucky to glimpse in many of my male followers has truly opened my eyes to how the expectations the society traditionally places on men can limit their personality and freedom of expression.
When I lead, i see my main task to be providing a safe and comfortable setting for my follower to dance in. This includes trying to stay clear of dangers while adjusting to the flow of other dancers, contributing to a general feeling of trust between everyone involved.
If this makes people think I want to be a man, so be it.
Comments
Post a Comment