Tango-travelling again (Stockholm)

After a month of steadily worsening moods and feelings of not belonging, I am once again travelling with tango. This time, however, it is only a short hop over the Finnish Gulf to Stockholm where there will be a tango festival during this week. The event, Tango 59 Degrees, comprises of no less than 5 day-time and night-time milongas each (the first of which begins in 15 minutes' time!), workshops, seminars and live performances. People I know who have been to it before were very enthusiastic about it, and personally I am just happy to be able to dance every day for the rest of the week.

You see, settling into my 'normal life' back home has been as hard as ever this time around, although the lovely summer weather and the general holiday feeling that prevails in Finland in July should have worked in its favour. At first, things did not look that bad, as I was full of positive energy, confidence and inner harmony, but quite predictably the considerable slowing down, as well as the setting in of daily routines, quickly started to affect my moods. What's more, the ridiculously low offer of tango (there is only one weekly milonga in Helsinki, plus one in Tampere, a city about 2,5 hours fast drive away) has done nothing to lift my spirits. To add the final straw, I developed a one-sided crush on someone that at first filled me with energy, only to leave me feeling totally void once it had become clear that he was not going to reciprocate my feelings. So, before I knew it, I was feeling just as out of place, out of sync, lonely and rejected as at the worst of times.

Having worked intensely for the past 3 weeks in the same café where I've been helping out on and off during the past 4 years, I was beginning to feel totally exhausted, and jumped at the opportunity to get back on the Tango Road. Now, having only arrived in Stockholm less than 2 hours ago and still not recovered from the last few nights' lack of sleep (last night I only managed about 3,5 hours which left me feeling as if I was totally drunk when I had to get up at the god-forsaken hour of 4.30 this morning) I already feel a lot better. My hostel in the Old Town of Stockholm is filled to the brim with youngsters, and I am sharing my room with no less than 7 (!!) Spaniards (all male :-) plus another girl whom I am yet to meet. The guys are quite young and sweet (and not bad-looking at all) so I suppose that kind of explains why all of a sudden I am feeling like there is something to live for after all...?;-)

Will be writing an update at some point during the week, so in case you still are checking the blog periodically, there will be something new. Based on the comments of some of my readers, all the lyricism on the importance of tango and the different venues and people I meet dancing is kind of lost on those who dont tango themselves. I am sorry for this and can certainly understand that it can be a bit difficult to see the point in all of this. All I can say is that you should try it.

Comments

  1. Wish you happy days there in Stockholm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari-kulta,
    niin kuin monesti muulloinkin mun täytyy olla eri mieltä kuin enemmistö - vaikken itse tangoakaan, kuvaukset kyllä osuvat ja uppoavat, jatka vain!
    Tuo edellinen ("tangon merkitys") kirjoitus oli todella kaunis. Itsetutkiskeluahan olet (ja olemme!) harrastaneet jo pitkään, mutta ehkä tango on tapa päästä järkeilyn ja teorioiden ohi ja yli, oivaltaa jotain itsestä tunteen, tiedostamattoman, intuition kautta.
    rutistus Lotalta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Hopefully you have a lot more milongas where ever you decided to continue your journey. As they say, it's the journey, not the destination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris, finally!

Getting into the swing of it (Pärnu)

The charm of the Danube (Vác)